Thursday, January 28, 2010

Seasons of Life

My father is always comparing the stages of life to seasons. For example, the time before I was married and had a child was the Spring of my life. Now that I have a the responsibilities of a child, husband and home, my life has journeyed into Summer. My parents claim they are in their Autumn and my grandparents in their Winter. This way of viewing life got me to thinking about relationships and roles that define these seasonal changes.

The passage of Spring to Summer in my life coincided with my changing role from single or newly wed to becoming a wife and mother. From being viewed not only as a child or girlfriend, but as an adult, at least to most eyes. For my parents the exit of Summer to the entrance of Autumn was defined by their children growing up. Their acts of getting married and having children of their own not only changed the roles between myself and them, but it create a new role, grandparents.

The further I contemplate how these life decisions not only effect current relationships, I realize how they cause us to step into new roles for ourselves. As I am adjusting to being called "Mom", a name when spoken causes me to look for my Mom, I realize I am adjusting to a new relationship; not only with my husband and son, but with my parents and in-laws as well. Becoming a Mom has made me realize that I must be assertive with all people, including both sets of parents when it comes to the welfare of my family. The responsibility of caring for not just myself, but to think about myself, my husband, son and dog as a unit and being responsible for making choices and decisions that effect us all and how we want to raise our son and function as a family. To no longer follow the rules and lifestyle that was established by our parents, but to decided our own lifestyle and rules for our family; to incorporate how my husband and I were both raised. What we want to keep the same and what we would like to do differently.

The balance in roles between being a child to my parents and becoming a parent myself is a juxtaposition in my reaction to situations which can be a constant struggle. I am assuming it is a the same for those who are just becoming grandparents, the leaving of Summer and entrance to Autumn. The necessity of letting go of making decisions for your own children, the stepping aside and letting them make decisions for their children, even when you do not agree, must be difficult.

As I journey through life via these seasonal changes, I hope experiences and time will assist in making these roles, old and new, more comfortable for all. Although I am reminded it is the struggle which makes life's blessings more rewarding.

1 comment:

  1. Nice entry! Very deep. I'm glad I'm in Summer right now... What a great season!

    ReplyDelete